Abortion can have a big effect on your life for months and years. If you had an abortion in the past, a post-abortion group helps offer healing from any pain or regret that may exist.
At Crossroads Women’s Center, we offer advocates who have personally experienced abortion and have been deeply affected by this choice. If you want to talk about your abortion experience with compassionate people who understand – contact us today.
trauma of Abortion
The American Psychological Association shares that trauma is an emotional response after a disturbing event. Many women may experience trauma after abortion and it can affect anyone and doesn’t discriminate based on cultural background, race, gender, etc.
The American Psychological Association shares that many times after the experience, a person may experience…
- Strained relationships
- Unpredictable emotions
- Physical symptoms (headaches, nausea)
How Do I Heal?
Getting professional help and support is essential to begin your healing process. Some tips that you may find helpful in addition to seeking professional assistance include:
- Speaking with others and remaining social
- Using calming techniques or participating in regular exercise
- Self-care, getting healthy amounts of sleep, eating well, and staying hydrated
- Avoid alcohol, drugs, and tobacco
- Return to everyday routines
- Volunteer and stay involved in your community
- If trying to help a friend, listen and try understanding where they are in the coping process. Also, suggest professional help
hope & healing
Whether you had an abortion many years ago or recently, you may want to talk through your emotions and feelings surrounding your abortion experience. Reactions to an abortion are unique for everyone, but everyone involved in the decision will be changed by it.
For more information, including dates and times, of our after-abortion support programs, contact our center for more information. All calls and classes are confidential.
Having an abortion can cause emotional and psychological scars. It’s important to seek professional assistance on the best path forward for you and how you can recover from this specific type of trauma.